part i writing words with definitions (20%)
directions: the followings are definitions of 20 words. for each definition, there are four choices. you should choose the one that best fits into the passage. then mark the corresponding letter on the answer sheet with a single line through the center.
1. to light up
a. illuminate b. procrastinate c. revert d. propel
part ii cloze (20%)
directions: there are 10 blanks in the each following passage. for each blank there are four choices marked a, b, c and d on the right side of the paper. you should choose the one that best fits into the passage. then mark the corresponding letter on the answer sheet with a single line through the center.
as i look back at my relationship with my parents, i realize that we have gone through an interesting cycle together. when i was a kid, my parents were everything to me the smartest, most interesting, most loving people in the world. but when i turned 13, there was a drastic change i suddenly developed a very 21. _______ view of them. i thought they were unreasonably strict. while i loved everything new in music, hairstyles, and clothes, they seemed boringly 22. _______, wanting everything to remain the same. our conversations, which used to be so deep and satisfying, became 23. _______ chats. i felt as if i had nothing to say to them anymore. if we 24. _______ a conversation for any length of time, i quickly lost patience with what i considered their silly, old-fashioned ideas. to my friends, i often 25. _______ them as hopelessly out of touch with the modern world.
but now, as i’m making the 26. _______ from my teen years to adulthood, i’ve had to 27. _______ that i was wrong. my parents are the same patient, loving, wise people they always were. i see that i used them as 28. _______ for my own uncertainties and for problems i had caused myself. i assumed they would not listen to opinions different from their own. now i know that i can 29. _______ my plans and dreams to them, and they will listen with respect. i hope i will never again let my own interests 30. _______ me from recognizing my parents’ genuine love and concern for me.
21. [a] idealistic [b] contrary [c] tentative [d] contradict
22. [a] relative [b] sensitive [c] impulsive [d] conservative ，，，
part iii completing the sentences (20%)
directions: fill in the blanks in the following sentences with the words given below.
41. roger knew a few chinese phrases, but he was not __________ enough in chinese to carry on a conversation.
42. photographers __________ (e)d the movie star, photographing her even on a private beach. ，，，
51. when im on a diet, eating pizza becomes a(n) __________ for me.
part iv filling in blanks (20%)
directions: there is a blank in each of the following 20 sentences. fill in the blank with the help of the chinese given in the brackets after each blank. the first letter of the word needed in the blank has been given. write the answer on the answer sheet.
61. when an oil rig explosion killed sam, the company c__________ (补偿) his widow with $100,000. however, nothing could really repay her for his loss.
62. most people in the 1800s could not have imagined such things as tv and heart transplants. what will the next century bring that we cannot yet c__________ (构想)of?
part v translations (20%)
direction: translate the following sentences into chinese, and underline the corresponding words in the chinese versions. example: 那些必须服从过于严格规则的孩子长大以后会公然违抗他们的父母。 that have been given.
82. i have for any that teaches hatred of groups having different principles and beliefs.